Reach new audiences with sponsored social & social media advertising for B2B companies
Social media advertising for B2B companies is the use of paid advertising on social media channels. It includes boosting the visibility of organic posts and placing ads on social networks. Unlike organic social media marketing where you’re reliant on your audience to amplify your content, using social media advertising B2B businesses can pay to reach the audience of their choice.
The major advantage of social media advertising for B2B businesses over organic marketing is the targeting options available to the advertiser. For example, you can amplify your content to profiles that have engaged with your competitors in the past or visited your website. Paid social is perfect when you aim to reach a new audience and extend your visibility beyond your community.
Why is social media advertising important in B2B?
Social media marketers face it increasingly difficult to reach new audiences. You are reliant on your existing community to amplify your content. Using sponsored social and social media advertising you can significantly increase your access to new and relevant audiences with plenty of targeting options that ensure your advertising stay relevant.
Social advertising marketing for B2B sales and marketing
What’s the difference between organic and paid social media marketing for B2B businesses? Paid social media advertising and organic social media marketing have fundamental differences, the most obvious being that with social media advertising, businesses are paying for content amplification. Advertisers pay per click on the content they promote, so there needs to be a clear and measurable goal.
Social advertising also referred to as “sponsored social media” isn’t reliant on having a broad base of existing followers for content to be seen. Businesses are paying to extend their reach to target accounts. Using organic social media you can’t pinpoint your target audience, but you can with paid social. You could target based on job title, job function and much more besides.
Paying for content amplification doesn’t satisfy the need for quality content. Advertisers need to use content that is relevant, timely and interesting to their audience if they want engagement.
On average B2B businesses are on six social networks. How can you reach them?
– by working with FullerFunnels
When should you use social media advertising for B2B marketing?
Paid/sponsored social media advertising is great when you need to reach an audience that may not already be part of your community and in some cases to even reach your own community. Recent changes on platforms such as Facebook mean that it’s now more challenging for businesses to reach their own community of followers. If you want to guarantee your content is seen, you should also promote content to your own community.
Organic social media marketing activity and social media advertising for B2B companies need to work hand-in-hand. In a business context, it’s difficult to do one without the other. Use social media advertising when you want to:
- Extend your reach amplifying your content beyond your existing audience.
- Target the community of your competitors.
- Market to audiences you may have engaged with your content.
- Promote content to members of specific groups and communities.
- Reach people who may have already visited your website.
- Drive people to sales or lead generating pages.
These are just a few examples of how social media advertising could is used in B2B marketing.
What are the different targeting options in social media advertising?
The different social media channels have different advertising tactics on offer, but they boil down to a similar set of options.
- Target ads based on what your audience does – You can target your audience based on their actions, for example, membership to specific groups or people they follow.
- Target ads based on what they say – You can target ads based on keywords that your audience is using.
- Target ads based on previous visits to your website – If a visitor comes to your website and leaves without taking action, then you can target them on social media. This is called remarketing
- Target ads based on your existing audience – Referred to as lookalike audiences, see who else matches the profile of your current audience and market to them.
Social media platforms aren’t short of targeting options, and it’s often a case of experimenting to figure out what works best in your market, to reach your audience.
What are the most common forms of social media advertising for B2B companies?
All popular platforms from Linkedin to Reddit give advertisers an opportunity to reach their audience. Knowing who your target audience is and which social network fits their demographic is key to understanding how you can optimise your time and budget.
- Facebook – The world’s most extensive social network. Advertisers can use promoted posts to reach their audience based on a wealth of targeting factors.
- Twitter – Promoted Tweets allow you to show your content in the feeds of people you want to target. Across all the leading platforms you have full control over budgets, and Twitter is no exception.
- LinkedIn – The home of B2B marketing and where professionals connect. LinkedIn is great for promoting your content to a business audience based on targeting options such as job title and function.
Stats for your social media marketing business case
- 80% of B2B decision makers visit community driven sites at least once a month.
- 74% of B2B buyers use LinkedIn to inform their purchasing decision.
- 78% of people who reach out to support via Twitter expect an answer within an hour.
- 79% of marketers report an increase in site traffic after investing 6 hours a week on social media.
Let’s talk social media advertising for B2B companies
Social media advertising for B2B companies extends your reach. If executed correctly it can give you very targeted reach. Imagine being able to see who’s following your competitors and who their customers are. Now imagine being able to those people particular messages to win their business. All this and more is possible with social media advertising.
Last Updated on