When you’re first investigating your options for delivering digital marketing you might be thinking about recruiting a digital marketer, using an agency, a freelancer, or maybe a consultant. The question you might be asking is what does a digital marketing consultant do?
The answer is to think of a digital marketing consultant as your advisor. If you don’t understand digital marketing or how to make the best of it for your business, then working with a digital marketing consultant is something you should consider before you grow your internal marketing team or recruit an external agency. Founders and business leaders who aren’t confident with digital marketing jump straight to using a marketing agency. The problem is most agencies don’t necessarily represent your best interests. Take for example an agency that runs search engine ads on your behalf. Many such agencies charge a percentage of your ad spend. A digital marketing consultant will tell you that this is actually against your interests. To increase revenues, the only thing an agency needs to do is spend more of your media budget, without needing to show results. In this example, a digital marketing consultant could save you a lot of money.
10 things a digital marketing consultant can do for your business
There are plenty of benefits that a digital marketing consultant will bring to your organisation. Here are a few examples of what a digital marketing consultant does:
- A digital marketing consultant will develop a digital strategy for your business based on your goals and resources.
- Once you have a digital strategy a digital marketing consultant will help you make this a reality.
- A digital marketing consultant will give you access to expertise and experience. This insight gained over many years of digital marketing, and it’s what you gain access to by working with a digital marketing consultant.
- A digital marketing consultant will be your trusted advisor to the world of digital and how your business can make the best of the opportunities digital marketing affords.
- A digital marketing consultant will help you evaluate whether you need a marketing agency at all or if you should be thinking about recruiting in-house. Recruitment in digital is difficult because there is a high demand for digital marketing expertise. A good digital marketing consultant will be able to help you find the right people to meet your objectives.
- Whether you choose to work with an agency, freelancer, or recruit an internal team, a digital marketing consultant can be your gatekeeper. An interface between you and the digital practitioners, helping you get the most bang for your buck.
- A digital marketing consultant gains a clear understanding of your business and should proactively make recommendations and identify new opportunities for leveraging digital to your advantage.
- Far from just looking internally a digital marketing consultant should evaluate the environment within which a business operates, and in particular assess the competitive landscape and determine how your business could gain a competitive advantage.
- There are hundreds if not thousands of different digital marketing tools available to businesses. A digital marketing consultant can help you build your marketing technology stack, ensuring everything is well-integrated from the ground up.
- In digital marketing, analytics plays a significant role, but this can be overwhelming for those who want familiar with digital or comfortable with analytics and reporting. A digital marketing consultant should establish a reporting capability and use it to inform your business decisions.
What does a digital marketing consultant do? As you can see it’s a hugely varied role, but it comes down to one basic deliverable. The job of a digital marketing consultant is to help you confidently navigate the digital marketing landscape and acheive your goals.
Last Updated on