A digital marketing consultant is someone who can guide you and your business through the dynamic world of digital marketing. We’ll answer the question of what is a digital marketing consultant by looking at the typical responsibilities of a digital marketing consultant.
What are the roles of a digital marketing consultant?
A digital marketing consultant will:
- support the leadership team of the business by being a trusted advisor and may have responsibility for digital transformation.
- often wear multiple hats and bring different streams of work together such as analytics and web development. They may have responsibility for ensuring communication between projects.
- help the marketing team and may have specific responsibility for digital strategy or execution.
- be an independent voice and will work outside the traditional marketing structure.
- evaluate and introduce new technology. Digital marketing consultants may also simplify the technology stack an organisation uses. This is especially important in the modern MarTech landscape where tools have significant overlap.
Can a digital marketing consultant do everything?
Digital marketing consultants are often considered a ‘jack of all trades’ because they can wear so many hats.
- A business may have many vendors and agencies. It may be within the roles and responsibilities of a digital consultant to manage external suppliers.
- A digital consultant is a partner, not an employee. A digital consultant will work most effectively when the bureaucracy of established businesses doesn’t hinder them.
- Equally, for the small business, digital marketing consultants can be a reliable partner who is both cost-effective and delivers advice when needed, rather than employ full-time headcount.
- A digital marketing consultant will bring with them a broad base of experience. They will often have responsibility for analytics and measuring ROI and KPIs across disciplines.
Last Updated on