We're going to show you, step by step, how to create an automated marketing funnel for your startup or small business. Lack of resources is the biggest obstacle for 61% of marketers (Brighttalk). If that sounds like you, then this guide will help, because we're going to reduce your workload through strategy & automation.
A marketing funnels is the lifeline of your business. It ensures your audience knows about your proposition, supports the decision making journey and delivers the pipeline businesses needs to survive. Now you'll see how you can build a marketing funnel that serves as the demand generation engine for your business.
Why does having an automated marketing funnel matter?
We live in an age where we have a multitude of marketing tactics at our disposal. We can craft a compelling message and get it in front of our audience using paid or organic channels. With so many options, why are so many B2B SMEs struggling to generate demand? SMEs are struggling because they aren’t thinking strategically about the tactics they deploy or how they ultimately serve to support a marketing and sales funnel.
What is a marketing funnel?
A marketing funnel is all about generating interest and ultimately sales opportunities for your business. It’s a journey that takes a prospect across multiple stages and for complex sales could span many months.
At the top of the funnel you add prospects and at each stage of the funnel, you need to filter poor quality prospects out or nurture them until they become sales ready. With an automated marketing funnel the heavy lifting is done for you and that means you can focus on growing your business.
Let's start this guide by fully explaining what a funnel is and its various elements. Start with step 1, What is a marketing funnel?
What is a marketing funnel?
Discover the marketing funnel model and why it matters to your business.
Understand the market before building anything
Before you create a marketing funnel you must understand your audience.
Mapping out your marketing & demand generation strategy
Learn to visually map out your demand generation & marketing funnels.
10 things you need to know about demand generation & marketing funnels
- For successful demand generation marketing and sales need to work closely together and take the prospect on a journey that aligns with their needs.
- You must have a very clear idea of who your audience is and why they would care. This is central to forming the marketing messages that will be the pillars of your marketing funnel.
- A marketing funnel has three broad phases. Top of funnel, middle of funnel and bottom of funnel activities.
- Top of the funnel marketing is very much controlled by marketing. It’s all about using the right mix of tactics to reach your audience and generate leads.
- Middle of the funnel is the process of nurturing leads and qualifying out leads. Here sales and marketing must work together to agree what a sales ready lead looks like.
- Bottom of the funnel is focused on transitioning the nurtured lead to a sales opportunity.
- Across all parts of the funnel the channels and tactics that work will be unique to your business and proposition.
- To optimise ROI you need to optimise your funnel. Always refine what you’re doing to improve lead quality.
- Leads can be qualified out at every stage and it’s a good thing. It’s likely your top of funnel marketing will generate leads that won’t meet your sales criteria and you need to remove them before they hit your sales teams.
- You must document your marketing funnel. This will help you understand all the levers you can pull to adjust throughput of leads and measure success.
Last Updated on